Best Practices for Dynamics 365 Security Roles & Field Security Profiles
By Kevin Razavi, Senior Consultant, Arbela Technologies
What is Role-Based Security?
Role-based security is that a role contains privileges that define a set of actions that can be performed within the organization
How role-based security can be used to control access
- You can use role-based security to group sets of privileges together into roles that describe the tasks that can be performed by a user or team.
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 includes a set of predefined security roles, each of which is a set of privileges aggregated to make security management easier.
- The bulk of the privileges define the ability to create, read, write, delete and share records of a specific entity type.
- Each privilege also defines how broadly the privilege applies: at the user level, business unit level, the entire business unit hierarchy or across the entire organization.
What is a Privilege?
A privilege authorizes the user to perform a specific action on a specific entity type.
The following table lists the types of privileges that are referred to from the following entity/privilege reference:
Click here to download the entire how-to guide, including:
- How to restrict access to a field?
- Best practices for field level security
- Best practices for modifying roles
- Security design tips
Want to learn more? Get in touch with us and we'll be happy to help.